1. Why should I try clip–in hair extensions?
2. What are hair extensions?
3. Where do I Start?
4. Will anyone know I am wearing them?
5. What is a weft?
6. Can I brush my hair with the clip–in extensions in?
7. What are the types of Hair Extensions?
8. What kind of hair do you use?
9. How long are the clip–in extensions?
10. Can hair clip extensions slip out? How do I attach the clip–ins to my natural hair?
11. How do I match my color?
12. Can the clip–ins be cut?
13. Can I use a curling iron on my extensions?
14. Can I sleep in clip–in hair extensions?
15. Can I swim in clip–in hair extensions?
16. How do I care for my clip–in extensions? Do I take them out when I shampoo my hair?
17. Can you get an updo with hair extensions? Can you see the clips?
18. How long does a set of extensions last?
19. Will the extensions fall out?
20. I heard that synthetic hair comes from horses. Is that true?
21. Can you use clip in hair extensions for every day life or just for parties?
22. Where can I find clip on hair extensions in "different colors", example....red, purple, pink, blue, or green?
23. How can I store my clip–in hair extensions so they stay nice?
24. Is there any way to curl extensions made from synthetic hair?
25. Hair extensions and airport security: Will the metal clips on the hair extensions set of the metal detectors in an airport?
26. How much are they?
27. Will extensions damage my natural hair? Does it hurt? Will it pull my hair out? Will my new hair feel heavy?
28. Can I get hair samples?
29. When you say 6" wide, does that mean the width of the piece, or the length of the hair?
30. Can I return them after trying them on?
31. Can extra wefts be purchased for my kit?
32. How long will it take to add extensions to my own hair? Do you have to go to a salon to get them put on your hair, or can you do them yourself? Are they hard to put in? Do I need help putting them in?
33. Are hair extensions suitable for Asian hair?
34. Can I use extensions to add texture or color to my hair?
35. What if I don't want clip–in extensions?
36. Can I color my extensions?
37. How can you create highlights or lowlights using the clip–in extensions?
38. My hair is wavy; will the clip–in extensions work for me?
39. How many clips are on each extension?
40. How are the clip–ins styled?
41. I am thinking about getting hair extensions for my wedding/prom?
Q. Why should I try clip–in hair extensions? | to the top
A. We have compiled the top 10 list of compelling reasons why you should give them a try and stop letting celebrities have all the fun.
1. They add glamour, fun and excitement.
2. They are affordable and you can do–it–yourself.
3. It is the safest method of hair extensions (no damage or commitment).
4. Get thicker, fuller, longer hair without commitment.
5. Change the color and texture of your hair without commitment.
6. Provide protection to your natural, growing hair.
7. Quickly and easily provide style without hassle.
8. They are easy to maintain and look natural.
9. Because you always want to change–it–up and be adventurous.
10. Because no one will know your little secret.
Q. What are hair extensions? | to the top
A. Hair extensions are a technique of adding hair that is not your own onto your own hair. This is achieved by different methods (Clip–In, Weaving, Braiding, Bonding, Strand by Strand, Latch hook etc.). All types, except clip–in extensions, should be put in by a salon professional for best results. Clip–in extensions can be done at home in minutes.
Q. Where do I Start? | to the top
A. Browse our site of high quality clip in extensions and find pictures that look like the hair you want to have. Read about Human hair vs. Synthetic Pros and Cons and decide which is best for you. All styles come in a myriad of colors, so after you've chosen a look, find your perfect shade using our color help. Licensed cosmetologists are available to help you decide – call us toll free at 1–800–581–8206.
Q. Will anyone know I am wearing them? | to the top
A. No one should be able to tell. Choosing the right color and wave pattern is important. With the right application you will know they are there but no one else will.
Q. What is a weft? | to the top
A. A weft is strands of hair which have been sewn along one edge to create a line of hair. Generally, many wefts of human or synthetic hair with pre–attached clips make up your extensions system. Each clip–in extension weft is sized for placement on different part of your head. The Hairdo line uses a one piece, multi weft system for quick application. See product details for more information.
Q. Can I brush my hair with the clip–in extensions in? | to the top
A. You can brush your hair lightly with your extensions in. However, if you brush them too hard you may pull them out of place. We recommend you purchase a Hair Trix Comb with your extension kit. The Hair Trix Comb is a MUST HAVE and allows you to gently pick out any tangles, without pulling out your extensions.
Q. What are the types of Hair Extensions? | to the top
A. There are many different methods in which you can wear hair extensions. These are the general terms the industry uses to represent the process.
1. Weaving: A process in which you create tracks on the individuals head and sew the hair extensions.
2. Braiding: A process in which you add hair extensions by braiding them in.
3. Ring – X: One of the new process in which the metal ring is already on the hair ready to attach.
4. U–Tip, I–Tip: A process in which "U" shaped glue is already on the tip of the hair ready to attach.
5. Hot glue gun method: A process in which the extension hair is attached directly to your own hair by heated glue stick.
6. Bonding: A bonding glue is brushed or applied onto the weft of the extension hair and then it is applied at the root of the individual's hair.
7. Clip in RECOMMENDED: A process in which the extension hair is pre–cut and has clips attached on the weft to clip on and off to your own hair. It is very simple and easy to wear. You can put it on or take it off yourself without costly, damaging glues and salon appointments.
Q. What kind of hair do you use? | to the top
A. Synthetic hair fibers are made from patented synthetic fiber that replicates human hair with undetectable precision. Human hair products are from made from 100% fine human hair of various grades or quality.
Q. How long are the clip–in extensions? | to the top
A. We carry extensions from 10" to 23"! It's easy to add length and volume with the longer extensions systems. Hairdo's short extensions systems can instantly transform longer layered hair into a shorter bob without cutting any hair for exceptional versatility.
Q. Can hair clip extensions slip out? How do I attach the clip–ins to my natural hair? | to the top
A. See the how–to's on the product page for an illustrated guide. Most clean hair holds extension clips with no problems or slippage. Finer or thinner hair may need to be backcombed at the clip site to give a little more grip for the clip's comb.
Q. How do I match my color? | to the top
A. See our color help page for all of the great ways we can ensure you get the best color possible.
Sometimes a highlight or lowlight similar to your hair color will blend even better than a near match.
Q. Can the clip–ins be cut? | to the top
A. All extensions, whether synthetic or human, can be cut. However, we recommend that all extensions be customized by your salon professional to match your hair and meet your style expectations. Synthetic extensions should generally be cut with a razor to add layering or fringe around the face, due to the denure of the fiber. Clip–in extensions systems are designed to look great as–is without a lot of cutting or customization.
Q. Can I use a curling iron on my extensions? | to the top
A. Human hair products can be styled just like your own hair with heating tools. Only synthetic extensions specifically designed for use with low heat tools can withstand extreme temperatures. See if your product is heat–friendly on the product page.
Q. Can I sleep in clip–in hair extensions? | to the top
A. We do not recommend sleeping with your clip–in hair extensions in your hair. Careful treatment is essential to extending the wear life and beauty of your clip–in extensions.
Q. Can I swim in clip–in hair extensions? | to the top
A. Do not swim in your clip in extensions. Careful treatment is essential to extending the wear life and beauty of your clip–in extensions.
Q. How do I care for my clip–in extensions? Do I take them out when I shampoo my hair? | to the top
A. Yes! Synthetic extensions should be washed with products specifically formulated for synthetic hair goods. Human Hair extensions should be washed with products designed for chemically treated hair. Both need to be dry before storing. See each product's how to guide for more detailed instructions.
Q. Can you get an updo with hair extensions? Can you see the clips? | to the top
A. Extensions clips are very small and placed close to the head where you should not be able to see them. Most systems can be put in to accommodate any hairstyle and are virtually undetectable.
Q. How long does a set of extensions last? | to the top
A. With daily wear, most synthetic extensions can be expected to last at least three months, and human hair lasts at least a year. This is dependant on proper care and storage; read the care instructions on the product page for more details.
Q. Will the extensions fall out? | to the top
A. No, they will not fall out of your hair. If they are pulled, they can slip down a bit, but with one hand, you can reach under your hair and open and re–snap the clip. Most clips used on the various types are designed with a rubber coating that provides an additional non–slip surface to secure them to your hair. Also, You can tease the hair where you wish to apply the clip to create added security.
Q. I heard that synthetic hair comes from horses. Is that true? | to the top
A. No, that would be called horse hair. Synthetic hair is just that – made from manufactured materials, many of which are patented synthetic fibers that replicate human hair with undetectable precision.
Q. Can you use clip in hair extensions for every day life or just for parties? | to the top
A. Clip–in extensions systems are so user friendly you can wear them all the time. Why not be more beautiful everyday? With minimal practice, anyone can put in their own extensions in minutes.
Q. Where can I find clip on hair extensions in "different colors", example....red, purple, pink, blue, or green? | to the top
A. Try easilights! These 1" wefts are made from human hair for easy styling and can be cut to match your length and mood. They come in fabulous and funky colors to add just highlights or eye–catching pizzazz.
Q. How can I store my clip–in hair extensions so they stay nice? | to the top
A. Keep your extensions clean and dry when storing them. Storing the extensions in a plastic bag will help keep them fresh and ready to wear. With Human Hair extensions worn wavy, keep the desired curl pattern by setting the hair on rollers that conform to the curl size before storing. A good rule of thumb for washing your hair extensions would be to wash them when the fiber begins to look dull. Try to wash them as infrequently as possible. Synthetic products should be washed every 4–6 wearings, and human hair should be washed every 3–4 wearings. These figures apply to every day/all day wear of extensions and not to special occasion or infrequent use of extensions.
Q. Is there any way to curl extensions made from synthetic hair? | to the top
A. The monofilament fiber used to make synthetic extensions has a "memory" which means it maintains its wave or curl, texture and volume, requiring minimal upkeep. Some brands now make heat friendly synthetic products that can be styled with low heat tools. Check each product specifications to see if the extensions can be heat styled. Non–heat friendly products should be kept away from heated tools and other sources of extreme temperature to maintain their beauty and integrity.
Q. Hair extensions and airport security: Will the metal clips on the hair extensions set of the metal detectors in an airport? | to the top
A. They shouldn't! The clips are very small and coated and we have NEVER had a report of this being a problem.
Q. How much are they? | to the top
A. Synthetic extensions are very affordable. They allow you to try out different hairstyles without much cost. Human hair extensions are made from 100% fine human hair and cost more than synthetic. Human hair extensions last much longer than synthetic and are much more versatile in styling. See our Human hair vs. Synthetic Pros and Cons to decide which is best for you.
Q. Will extensions damage my natural hair? Does it hurt? Will it pull my hair out? Will my new hair feel heavy? | to the top
A. No way! These extensions systems are designed to be lightweight, comfortable and easy to wear. The clips are strong but gentle and with proper application will not damage your real hair. Always unsnap all clips before removing an extension weft to prevent pulling.
Q. Can I get hair samples? | to the top
A. Color rings are available for purchase in either human hair or synthetic. The great thing about getting a color ring is that when you return it, you get the credit back toward your extensions purchase. our program makes it easy to find your perfect color.
Q. When you say 6" wide, does that mean the width of the piece, or the length of the hair? | to the top
A. The width of the weft is along the top, on the clip edge. So a 6" weft is six inches wide at the base that attaches to your hair around your head. The length of the hair is the overall length of the hair from top to bottom.
Q. Can I return them after trying them on? | to the top
A. See our policies page for more details.
Q. Can extra wefts be purchased for my kit? | to the top
A. Most women are satisfied with the number of wefts in a system (and may not use them all at once). Extensions systems come with plenty of hair to add thickness to your hair. For dramatic length, an extra system may be desired. Easilights are also an easy way to add 1" wefts of highlight or accent.
Q. How long will it take to add extensions to my own hair? Do you have to go to a salon to get them put on your hair, or can you do them yourself? Are they hard to put in? Do I need help putting them in? | to the top
A. Clip in hair extensions attach to your own hair without glues or braiding. If you can put a barrette in your hair you can do them yourself. With minimal practice, most systems can be applied in 5–15 minutes. See the how to guide on each product page for more details.
Q. Are hair extensions suitable for Asian hair? | to the top
A. Women of all ethnic backgrounds can wear hair extensions. You can create highlights and lowlights without coloring your own hair with hair extensions.
Q. Can I use extensions to add texture or color to my hair? | to the top
A. Yes you can! If you want dramatic highlights, you can achieve the look you want by adding extensions with a blend of your natural hair color and a lighter color, or you can add wefts of a lighter shade to your hair that blend with your hair to create a highlight effect. If you are looking for a wavy or straight texture to contrast with your hair, you can either flat iron or curl your natural hair and add extensions with the desired texture.
Q. What if I don't want clip–in extensions? | to the top
A. Our Dallas Salon location is a certified Great Lengths (100% natural hair extensions) Salon. Read more about Great Lengths Hair Extensions. Staffed with licensed cosmetologists, you can take advantage of our full–time stylists and have your NEW extension purchase customized on the spot! We can give you a more natural look and the perfect style to compliment your face.
Q. Can I color my extensions? | to the top
A. You can color human hair extensions. However, human hair extensions have been previously treated and chemically processed. It is not recommended to lighten or lift color from this hair. If you must color the human hair extensions, we recommend purchasing the lightest color offered and using semi–permanent color to deposit only. Synthetic hair extensions cannot be colored.
Q. How can you create highlights or lowlights using the clip–in extensions? | to the top
A. Creating highlights or lowlights is as simple as using an extensions system in a different color than your own hair. By choosing a lighter or darker shade than your own hair you can instantly change the dimensions of your hair. See our color help page to find your perfect shade.
Q. My hair is wavy; will the clip–in extensions work for me? | to the top
A. Synthetic clip–in extensions come in straight and wavy in a myriad of colors. Human hair can be heat–styled like your own hair to blend seamlessly. The clips on extensions work on all hair types and there is an extension system for every woman. Call us toll free at 1–800–581–8206 to consult with a licensed cosmetologist and find the best system for you.
Q. How many clips are on each extension? | to the top
A. Each system has enough clips to hold the extension weft in place without putting stress on your natural hair. Smaller wefts may have only one or two clips, while larger wefts and multi weft systems use many clips. See the how–to on the product page for more details on applying extensions.
Q. How are the clip–ins styled? | to the top
A. Synthetic extensions are pre–set either straight or wavy. Some brands also make heat friendly synthetic fibers for more versatility. Human hair extensions are as versatile as your own hair: curl, straighten, spray, or style with your usual styling products.
Q. I am thinking about getting hair extensions for my wedding/prom? | to the top
A. Extensions are a great way to make your special occasion even more glamorous and beautiful. From simple to elaborate, hair extensions can add volume and length that you can do yourself or take to your salon professional for that special day. Extensions can also be used to treat bridesmaids to gorgeous, matching hairstyles.